Saturday, October 12, 2013

Moving towards a Dream

In just over a month, my husband and I will be moving to his family farm in New Ross, Nova Scotia where we plan to homestead and live a simpler life. Living a simpler life doesn't mean it will be a lazy or easy life, just changing our life's direction. Up until now we've lived in a rural setting, working a 35+ hour work week, and eating convience foods.

When we married just over 2 years ago, he moved from Canada to Washington state. I have children from a previous marriage and I wanted to stay in Washington until my youngest daughter graduated from high school which occurred this past June of 2013.

Throughout the last year or so my husband got me watching the show, Prepper's. Some of the reasons the people became prepper's just seemed unbelievable to me. As I watched the show I began to realize how completely dependent my family was on grocery stores and fast foods. Which caused me to ask myself the question, "How would we survive if for some reason food wasn't available in the grocery store?" That's when I decided to learn how to grow my own food as well as preserve it through canning, dehydration, & freezing. Where to start? Reading, the more I read the more I realized that a change needed to happen.

In January, we started making plans to move. Moving is going to be difficult emotionally, I've lived in Washington state for 18 years. This is the only other place I've lived for more then a couple of years besides my birth state of Michigan. Previously I was a military wife and we moved about every 2 years. Leaving behind my children, ages 28, 25, 21, & 19 along with my 4 month old grand baby will be hard, they are staying here in Washington. My plan is to visit frequently for extended amounts of time. Also I'll be leaving many friends behind that have supported me throughout the years, one of them that I met in 1990 in Hawaii and we ended up living near each other after leaving military life.

So that's how it started... and the adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment